Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Week of 02/17/2014: 'Snowmageddon' continues

We just keep getting snow dumped on us.  This week was just plain ridiculous, I was forced inside all week.  Later in the week I opted to skip my long run and nurse some wounds.


Monday 02/17/2014

Scheduled:  6 mile Recovery run
Winter drags on here in MN, we got several inches of snow this morning.  I kept it inside and ran my RR on the mill.  6 12 minute miles really stretched my limits of tolerance when it comes to treadmill boredom



Tuesday 02/18/2014

Scheduled:  8 mile LT 4 @ HMP
Stuck inside on the treadmill.  Actual mileage was a 6 mile run with 2 @ 5K pace.

One of the problems with treadmill running (At with least my particular machine) is that the controls make it difficult  to dial in the pace, especially once you are on the 'move.'  As such, I tend to deal in whole MPH numbers rather than fractions.  For example, the top end of recovery pace or the bottom end of Aerobic for me is a 12:00 mile, or a 5MPH pace.  the next setting up on my treadmill is a 6MPH or 10:00 mile pace.  That is only 15 seconds per mile slower than my 5K pace.  My half marathon pace or ideal tempo pace is therefore some fraction in between 5 and 6 MPH - I'm thinking somewhere in the 10:45-11:00 range.

Because I can really only easily deal with whole numbers, I ran my tempo portion at a 10:00 per mile pace.  I cut the tempo portion short at 2 miles instead of the planned 4.  I was still doing OK aerobically (I did not go over 150 bpm) but I noticed that physically I was starting to get a little wobbly and was requiring more and more noticeable balance correction.  I didn't want to get shot off the back at 10MPH, so I pulled the plug at 2 miles and ran my warm down at a 12:00 pace.

Another thing that I have noticed is that my treadmill's speed seems somewhat responsive to my input - what I mean is, that the first two miles that I ran at a 12:00 pace were slightly faster than 12:00 miles, and the last two that I ran after I was fatigued from the tempo run were closer to 12:15 miles.  Either me or the machine, it seems that one of us gets tired over time and runs slower.



Wednesday 02/19/2014

Scheduled:  Rest
I took it, and it felt good.



Thursday 02/20/2014

Scheduled:  9 mile GA run
Continued my rest theme into this morning.  Heavy snowfall predicted, forcing any evening run inside onto the treadmill.  Arrrrrgh.

I did my full 9 on the mill.  Just to break up the boredom I ran the first 1/4 of each mile @ 10:00 pace and then backed off to 12:00 pace rest intervals for an average pace of 11:30 per mile throughout the run.

When I 'trained' for the 2012 TCM I did not do a lot of mid distance runs and virtually no tempo or speed work.  While I have not experienced the necessary success that will allow me to rightly say that that approach is a recipe for disaster, my 2012 TCM performance certainly backs such a claim.  What running those 9 intervals taught me was that the first 6 were really only a necessary base, I needed to break myself down to a point where I had to run the last three in a fatigued state - Those last three 440's were the real workout.  Learning to run in distress and ignore discomfort.

I also discovered that my treadmill will stop when the timer reaches 99:59.  :-/



Friday 02/21/2014

Scheduled:  XT:  Swim
We got around 10" of snow overnight.  Schools closed and thus the pool.  That was OK, because I was wiped out from last night's run.



Saturday 02/22/2014

Scheduled:  11 mile Long run
Took a rest - plantar fascia and right heel bothering me.


Sunday 02/23/2014

Scheduled:  Rest day


No comments: