Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Week of 03/03/2014: Dress Rehearsal

This just in:  Winter sucks!  I hope that spring really is around the corner.

I missed the majority of my workouts this week due to lack of sleep.  My daughter came down with what turned out to be strep throat, and I spent most of my nights laying with her in her bed, tapping her butt and stroking her head, trying to help her get comfortable and stay asleep.  The net of all that was that by morning I was in no mood or condition to work out.

All that and Saturday was my big 10 mile race.  After 3+ weeks of blowing off my training it would have not been a surprise that my performance suffered, but what I experienced was a breakdown just as bad (and perhaps at a micro level worse) than the breakdown in the 2012 TCM.

The question that I am left to ponder is really a simple one - Do I want to continue to undertrain for my events and then fail miserably at them, or am I willing, truly willing, to commit myself to the proper training, so that I can really throw down the best possible effort, and have something besides a black box crash analysis to go over for these race reports.

I better mull it over quickly, as this week I also laid down my money for Grandmas.  I am officially registered for two marathons this year.


Monday 03/03/2014

Scheduled:  4 mile Recovery run
I slept in the morning and ran this on the treadmill in the evening.



Tuesday 03/04/2014

Scheduled:  6 LT (4@HMP)
Skipped.  The evening workout followed by a morning workout thing.  So I slept in the morning and then life got in the way in the evening.



Wednesday 03/05/2014

Scheduled:  4 mile Recovery run
Skipped.  Around 11PM or so my daughter got restless, lots of tossing turning and whimpering.  She wouldn't settle down unless I lay next to her the entire night.  By morning time there was just no way that I was going to get up and run.

I officially threw my hat into the ring and registered for Grandmas today.



Thursday 03/06/2014

Scheduled:  Rest
I had visions of a makeup run, but it just wasn't in the cards.  My daughter was restless and whiny for the entire night so I basically slept right up to the point that I had to get up for work.



Friday 03/07/2014

Scheduled:  XT:  Swim
Third straight night of restless kid syndrome.  by the time 4:30 rolled around I said screw it and went back to sleep.



Saturday 03/08/2014

Scheduled:  Race - 100% Irish for a Day 10 Mile
I blew up.  And then I died.  Race report here.


Sunday 03/09/2014

Scheduled:  4 mile Recovery run
I was still in a lot of pain after yesterday's debacle.  It was a day to rest, lick wounds and re-assess the Grandmas training plan.


No comments: